Monday, November 12, 2007

Anyone watching Football?

Yes, I'm talking about the NFL. I only caught the last few minutes of the Colts - Chargers game, but I was sure the Chargers were going to chalk up another loss, and the Colts were going to add another win to their record. I was at work, checking the scores keeping track of San Diego's 5 INT's and 23-0 score. And if you didn't watch the game, you're probably thinking, the Colts blew that big of a lead, no the Chargers did. I'm not a huge Colts fan, and I wanted them to have their success last year, but I wanted the Chargers to win this game. When I got home, I turned on the TV and the Chargers were only ahead by 2 points and I could only watch as the Colts make their final drive down to the 6 yard line, the weird thing was, I was rooting for them on this drive. What they were doing lining up on 4th and 1 with a few minutes left in the game down by 2 points, I guess you could try to draw a penalty and lose some more time off the clock, but I guess Tony Dungy didn't have much faith in the Indy Defense cause a sure field goal would have won the game (which may have not made it anyway). They tried to draw an encroachment penalty and they were called on a false start penalty because they had too many men moving that were trying to insinuate a snap. With the penalty they had no choice than to go for the field goal, which missed slightly to the right. They were brilliant in their defense, but only had 22 seconds left to attempt another drive, and that's when Peyton Manning threw his 6th INT of the night. It was almost pitiful to see the Chargers barely hold onto a 23 point lead like that, but even more pitiful to watch Vinatieri not be able to notch up a field goal from 29 yards out.

Then, you've got teams like the Vikings, who have all of one good offensive player, rookie Adrian Peterson, who notched up and NFL record of 296 yards in their victory of the Chargers last week. He goes down in the 3rd quarter, but they were already being shutout by the Green Bay Packers, but this pretty much ensured they would stay down; they'll probably be down for another game next week as Peterson is expected to be out for one more week, but it's not like they have a shot at the playoffs or anything, but it would be nice to see Adrian Peterson break some more records. Bret Favre was just ridiculous out there; he's averaging over 300 YPG this season and on track to pass Dan Marino in total career passing yards. Before Favre signed on for another season, I was sure it was time for him to retire, with two horrible seasons behind him. He came back and proved me wrong. Now the Packers are 8-1, and Favre is leading the league in passing yards... I guess I'll root for the geezer, I actually have his rookie card where he's wearing a Falcons jersey.

What's up with the 49ers? I know they suck, they've lost 6 straight games. They've got an astonishing defensive rookie LB Patrick Willis, who was leading the league in Tackles, and a decent CB Nate Clements, and an okay defensive unit. Their offense is just horrendous; last year Frank Gore averaged 100 YPG, notching up almost 1700 yards on the ground, and this year averaging 62.1 and hasn't reached 100 yards in a game yet. He's supposed to play against Seattle tomorrow in what I'm sure will be another loss for them. San Fran's offensive line just sucks, and this doesn't help out their passing game either; they are dead last with a little over 130 YPG through the air. That is horrible. Shaun Alexander isn't doing much better, even if he gets healthy he's only had two 100 yard games this season. Seattle has only won 1 out of their last 4 games... but I'm almost certain, they'll win this one, unless the 49ers pull something out of their butts. I love the 49ers and like the Seahawks, but I don't see the 49ers winning this game.

No comments: