Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Movies I just saw

I just rented, "Momma's Boy" with Jon Heder, Diane Keaton, Anna Faris, and Jeff Bridges. Jon plays Jeffrey, the son who still lives at home at the age of 29, hence the name of the movie. His mom is played by Diane Keaton, who has babied him since the death of his father as a younger boy. He's got a little bit of attachment issue with his mom, and he begins to feel threatened that her new boyfriend, Self-help guru Mert played by Jeff Daniels, may steal her away from him as he tries to push him out of the house. The characters are well built-up and most seemed to perform well together. I kinda liked the quirkiness and the lack of over-the-top humor, still I found myself laughing anyways. It's rated PG-13; there is some crude language, drug use and reference, and sexual references and innuendo, which don't detract from the movie too much, not that I've ever thought they were necessary. It's worth a rent.

We also rented "Penelope," with Christina Ricci, James McAvoy, Catherine O'Hara, and Reese Witherspoon, among others. Besides the fact that the pig nose was a little cheesy looking, the movie was very good. I liked how they developed the story and kept it moving along without too many lulls. Basically, Penelope was born into a rich family, that had known riches for many generations. One great-great-great grand relative announced his love for a servant girl, who killed herself when he rejected her due to her stature. Her mother happened to be a witch who cursed the family. That's where pig-nosed Penelope comes in. She had been hidden away to not cast shame on the family name until the curse could be broken, but the only way to be accepted by someone of her stature, so they had to find her a man willing to marry her. It's a very touching story about trying to be happy with one's self and appearances, and coming to terms with life no matter the cards you've been dealt. Of course, there's some cheesiness factor involved. My 5 year-old enjoyed the flick, but the 3 year-old lost interest. It's rated PG, and there probably wasn't anything too bad for the kids in this one, as I said I let my kids watch it with me. They may lose interest cause it's not really a kiddie type piggy movie, but it's a good watch.

No comments: